4 March 2012

Fileshare sites? Don't you guys have starving children to deal with?

/EDIT:/ I wrote this quite a while back, when MegaUpload was shut down. I thought I posted it some time ago, but apparently not. So here it is.

Disclaimer (though I doubt it's much of a disclaimer anyway)
Everything in this post is my personal opinions. What I know of the situation is restricted to the internet. I am also not of legal age. I am thus not expected to know any better, but I suppose that's a moot point? This was also typed while I was under the considerable influence of Anger.

Hello, U.S. government, I hear that you've been going after the internet lately. Like, shutting down sites with some pirated content. Amongst all the completely legal and personal content uploaded there. So, yeah, I heard you were going after those sites and seizing their servers.

So, yeah, those servers kind of contain personal and quite possibly sensitive information. And you seize them. All. No warning, no subtle approach, just go straight in and seize everything just because you're with the goddamn fucking government.

Hey, man, thought you guys were free speech advocates. I thought you guys were like, all cool with the Declaration of Independence and everything.

Sorry, dude, I was wrong. Nice work with PIPA and SOPA. Now everyone really hates you. That was, really, a stupid move. It's stupid and retarded. It's stupid and retarded because it can't be called anything other than stupid and retarded.

You know how people just love the authorities messing around with them. Yeah, like how you must have loved your parents riffling through your bag when you were otherwise occupied or something. You must've totally loved that, because that's exactly what you're doing to the internet. You think we'd enjoy that.

Like, you guys going through our personal files without any warning or notice.

Bamf! Megaupload, R.I.P...........

And all the other fileshare sites scatter. Thank you. So much. For PIPA and SOPA and closing Megaupload and indirectly (or directly) causing several other sites to close their fileshare function. Because you are all fucking assholes who can't understand how the world works. Well, at least the internet.

The only good thing that comes out of this is that everyone can finally see that the U.S. government has no idea how to deal with the internet. They can't control it. So they try to control it.

And they're the ones complaining about China's firewall.

If China's a bastard and an asshole and absolutely horrible for setting up a firewall, then your PIPA and SOPA... well...

Anyway, you guys actually think the internet's more important than starving kids or a horrible education system or, well, everything. Let me give you a clue.

NO.

People who use the internet are people who can afford a computer. They don't need you worrying about them. People who complain about piracy make millions more (just a few million less than they would've liked). They don't need you worrying about them.

People who are living on the streets. People who are orphans. People who struggle to get food.

Shouldn't you be worrying about healthcare and education and employment rates? Or trying to do something about that trillion you borrowed from China.

I'm not sure about you government guys, but here in Asia, returning what you've borrowed is a big deal.

But I digress.

Apparently, the internet is influential enough for people to worry about. Apparently, free speech is code for something else. Apparently, you would rather control the majority than care for the minority. And apparently, you're not really sure what your people actually want.

I do think that it's a rather sad situation when people all over the world start criticizing the U.S. government. It's so obviously wrong that everyone's protesting. And then out pops another bill or something about the internet.

Just look at some of the 2012 election candidates. The word hopeless doesn't do them justice. Rick Santorum and his unhealthy obsession with homosexuality. Likening man-on-man to man-on-dog. I don't even want to know about the rest. The fact that this man is still in the running says a lot about... well, everything.

It's depressing when such things happen. It's depressing when a country starts focusing on the internet rather than the real, tangible problems in real life. Healthcare, education, employment - these are a few things that many people have talk about. Work on that before clamping down on fileshare sites just because the entertainment industry wants a few more million (or billion) dollars.

I'm planning to give more money to the music industry soon, anyway.

And I still think that the government sucks. For all you know, they could be looking through every piece of sensitive material you've stored on MegaUpload. They could be listening to the music and watching the videos and calling it research or something.

I'm not saying that it will definitely happen, and I'm not saying it won't. I'm just saying that it's very suspicious when the government gets off its ass and decides to seize a whole bunch of files, then become even more suspiciously silent.

I'm also saying that it's stupid and retarded to try to pass bills like PIPA, SOPA, and ACTA. But I'm not sure that any of the politicians behind the bills are observant enough to notice the blacklash. Instead, their poor secretaries...

I hope there are still some good, intelligent politicians left. I'm getting tired of all the bullshit people come up with.

/EDIT:/ I've decided that I like insulting people.

No comments:

Post a Comment