20 July 2012

this is to address something that makes me slightly uncomfortable

Lately I've noticed that people put interesting stuff in their bio. Self-introduction. Bleh. They mostly describe themselves. I sing, I like anime, etc etc and so on.

Just today I read a self-intro that said: a deep thinker with a blog.

Wow.

I mean, a deep thinker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the blogger for listing out her attributes. Who knows, maybe she actually is a really deep thinker. And she thinks it defines her. So she put it up on the bio section. 

Wow.

The part that gets me uncomfortable is the blatant self-praise. Or, not self-praise, not exactly, but more of the tone. I have issues with the tone she used.

She was, oh god, so serious. 

All that aside. Let me talk about myself for a moment. I praise myself all the time. I think I'm the best fucking person ever, but really, I am. I write really awesome things. Like, so fucking awesome. And I sing awesomely. And I have awesome taste in manga. Also anime. I rock. 

I don't think that's the same tone as the quoted bio, is it?

Let me just try again: I am a quiet girl who loves flowers.

Okay stop. Bleh. I'll never do that. I'm not quiet. And I don't actually enjoy flowers that much.

One more try: I am a conscientious student with a blog.

Disclaimer: I am not conscientious. Neither do I study. Though I am a student.

BACK TO TOPIC.

Praising myself so seriously makes me extremely uncomfortable. Maybe I'm insecure. (I hope not.) But those descriptives are those that others should use to describe you, not by yourself to describe yourself. If you do that, chances are you'll sound extremely pompous and off-putting. Proud. Arrogant. Blah synonyms blah. 

Also tone. At least make it more eye-catching. My inner voice reads it like the monologue of a dying person. I bet your inner voice isn't reading this text that way. I bet your inner voice sounds fucking high as a kite and very aggressive when it reads this. (I hope so.)

And again, content. It's a bloody blog. I don't want a couple of adjectives, I want a personality. Or at least what you blog about. I mean, why else would I ever read anything on your blog. Fancy/flattering adjectives don't make you interesting.

Standard disclaimer for most posts: I was most likely high and highly incoherent at the time of writing. Feel free to feel offended.


No comments:

Post a Comment