19 May 2012

粽子, or rice dumplings, though the English name kind of makes no sense whatsoever

So apparently it's the 粽子 (link to the wiki page, but it's kind of useless) time of the year again!1111!!!!

I'm actually really honestly happy, as opposed to fake, sarcastic happiness. Reason being the damned things taste nice. Like, awesomely nice.

How they look like when they're wrapped

How they look like when they're unwrapped

How they look like right before I put them into my mouth

Yeah, so I was saying... uh. The wikipedia page has all sorts of weird information that I never knew, because, hey, I don't like anything about history except maybe Rasputin and his weird refusal to just die.

Basically, the  粽子 I make look like the Northern ones, because I'm from Beijing and my mother's from Beijing and that's in the north and it looks prettier that way anyway.

Northern-style (left) and Southern-style (right) -  from wiki
The fillings are chestnusts and jujubes (that's what wikipedia calls it, and I'm not sure what the official English name is because I only talk about these foods with my mother, and I speak Chinese with my mother, and I doubt anyone in my family knows what the English names of any ingredient anyway).

A chestnut. Obviously. Or maybe not.

A jujube. It's deathly sweet.

And I eat the tasty awesome 粽子 with sugar. Like, normal sugar. I mean, I need to state it clearly, because for some odd reason, the internet seems to think that asians do some very strange things. That is most certainly false... uh. I mean, I'm normal. I'm pretty normal, I think. I eat, shit, sleep.

Aaaaaand that's all, I think. I need to stop some time, after all. I might go read some horribly smutty fanfiction or write some horrible smut myself. Or I might go fangirling.

/EDIT/: Oh yes, and the reason why "rice dumplings" don't make sense as a name. I've long since accepted that 饺子 will be called a "dumpling", no matter how many times I insist that's it's retarded. But a "rice dumpling"? That's like a dumpling filled with rice. Go on, imagine it. Imagine the taste.

Ew.

This is why the name does not make sense. At all. If any says anything about "rice dumplings", I pretend not to understand. I'll bloody make them say 粽子 even if it kills them.

/EDIT/: /EDIT/: Sorry, had to trawl through some html to prettify the format, which I am obsessive about. Also this is why blogger is sometimes annoying:


I understand that it's to prevent people from fucking up their blog, but they shouldn't be messing with html if they haven't at least taken a basic enforced class for said subject in school. It's kind of their own fault if they screw shit up. I would admit that I screwed shit up if I actually screwed shit up.

...Delirious. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment