7 February 2013

this is a story about what Christianity can do to an educated person

Listen carefully, everyone.

My family is Christian. That is, my father and my mother and my seven year-old brother are Christians. My father has a Ph.D, and works as an engineer. His maths skills are incredible.

One day, I heard my brother being scolded by my father. I suppose he lashed out violently (again) or something. Apparently, he hit my mother. Or threw something.

My father insisted that he had to apologize. Yeah. I agree. If you hit someone, you either apologize or apologize, or be a stupid and violent little arse. I mean, if you hit someone because you were angry about not getting your way... Which is what my brother did.

So my brother was wailing and screaming and shouting that NO he wasn't ever going to fucking apologize. NO.

Okay so everyone should listen carefully. Or read carefully, whatever.

My father told him that he could apologize to god instead.

...

...

Don't get it?

It means that my brother gets to be a complete arse while thinking that he's resolved of his 'sins'. It means that my brother doesn't get to learn what proper manners is. It means that my brother doesn't have to face up to his actions. It means that my brother DOESN'T LEARN HOW TO BE A DECENT HUMAN BEING.

And you know why? Because my bloody CHRISTIAN father decided that 'god' was a good enough substitute for the victim.

Oh, yes, sure. I'll make sure to become a Christian before I kill anyone, because then I can be resolved of all my sins! If I pray and apologize to 'god', then it's the same as apologizing to my dear dead victim, isn't it??

Here are two things that are pretty obvious from this story.

First: anyone who claims that god will erase your sins if you pray is just a coward and looking to save his own skin (well, he thinks he's saving himself). If your victim, or your victim's family if your victim is dead, doesn't forgive you, then you're still a sinner. And even if they forgive you, you're still a sinner.

Not that I'm preaching. I don't care if you're a sinner. But the point is, don't go around deluding yourself and dismissing everyone else's feelings.

What would the parents of the dead children from the Sandy Hook shooting feel, if the murderer 'converted' to Christianity and went around proclaiming that he's a clean man? He thinks god has erased his sins, but the children are still dead, and he's still a murderer.

So you can believe in Jesus and help out gays, lesbians, and homeless abandoned animals. But don't be an asshole and say that Jesus forgives everything. Yeah, Jesus forgives everything, but that little kid you bullied back at high school hasn't forgiven you. Are you going to dismiss his opinion? Because then you might as well just go to your Christ right now. You aren't doing this world a favour.

Second: Christians teach weird fucking shit to their vulnerable children. Even if you don't tell your child that "all is forgiven because of Christ"

(By that way, that's called teaching them how NOT TO BEAR RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS.)

You're still telling your children to pray to a dude who crucified himself to save the world, when he could have just prayed to his daddy and asked him to erase all sins, forever.

Crucifixion is too fucking bloody for most children under ten. I didn't feel okay for years after I found out that Jesus had nails poked through his hands and feet. (That was when I was seven.)

And then a few years later I found out that crucified people die of asphyxiation. Apparently your hands aren't made for holding up your body weight, so you sink lower and lower until you can't breathe, and then you die.

This is not good for mental health. Praying to this person is not good for mental health. If god couldn't or didn't care enough to spare his own son the agony, then what makes you think he cares about you?

...

...

So this whole Christianity deal is fucked up. The only kind of Christians I can accept are the ones who don't use the bible as a shield for their sexism, anti-choice stance, anti-LGBTQ stance, or anything at all. And they also shouldn't "leave it up to god". But then they shouldn't be called Christians. They should just be called very responsible people who happen to be theists.

Basically the only thing in the bible that is clear and makes sense is "god helps those who help themselves". It's basically a confidence booster to theists, and a message that they should get off their sorry arses, stop praying, and DO SOMETHING.

I mean, if you care enough to ask your god to change his divine plan, then you care enough to do something to help, right?

I care, but not enough run off to Africa right now, because first I can't and second I can't do anything to help anyway. But I do donate.

If you pray and don't even donate, then you are a very bad person. A very bad person!!! You're not even as good as a morally lacking sixteen year-old who doesn't even care that much.

...

...

Telling your child that god forgives his sins even though his victims doesn't forgive him is called BAD PARENTING. And you are basically ruining his moral compass.

No comments:

Post a Comment